Interested in more training by BASCIA (Bay Area Suicide and Crisis Intervention Alliance)? Here are some upcoming dates. Be careful, though, they are right around … Read the rest
If you or your group want to learn more
Because people who are suicidal often do want help but may not know where to turn, we offer presentations that help people learn how to get support. Dispelling the myths and presenting the facts about suicide helps people reach out to the Suicide Crisis Line.
- Identify the stigma and myths about suicide that discourage people from reaching out
- Increase their awareness of suicide warning signs and suicidal statements and how to respond
- Learn to recognize risk factors such as isolation and increase in alcohol/drug use
- Increase their ability to express compassion for those experiencing suicidal thoughts
- Identify ways to get help for themselves or someone else who may be at risk
- Discuss helpful and harmful coping behaviors
- Explore their own beliefs, feelings, thoughts, and attitudes around suicide
- Identify the suicide crisis line as a resource for them and the people they serve
- Identify those who may be at an increased risk for suicidal thoughts or behavior
- Identify and respond effectively to suicide warning signs and suicidal statements
- Use safe strategic models to discuss suicide with their clients
- Use communication skills that promote trust and encourage expression
- Engage a comprehensive suicide/crisis intervention model to promote safety
- Plan for and practice effective self-care and debriefing
Presentations and training for your school, organization, or business
Suicide does not discriminate. Our customized presentations are available for schools, service groups, non-profit agencies, mental health providers, hospitals, and local businesses.
- Presentations and trainings are free & available in English or Spanish.
- Outreach presentations include age appropriate content, resources, and materials.
- Scheduling is flexible.
- Click here to submit a request for a presentation or training or to request a Suicide Prevention Service booth or table at your community resource event (you may also email firstname.lastname@example.org or call the administration line at 831-459-9373
Have you participated in a presentation or training from SPS? We would like to hear from you! Click here to tell us about your experience and give us feedback!
24 hour toll-free Suicide Crisis Line
1-877-ONE-LIFE / 1-877-663-5433
(Monterey, Santa Cruz, and San Benito Counties)
(Santa Cruz County)