Because people who are feeling suicidal often do not want to die – they just don’t know where to turn – we offer presentations to help people learn how to get support. Dispelling the myths and presenting the facts about suicide helps people reach out to the suicide crisis line.
- Identify the stigma and myths about suicide that discourage people from reaching out
- Increase their awareness of suicide warning signs and suicidal statements and how to respond
- Learn to recognize risk factors such as isolation and increase in alcohol/drug use
- Increase their ability to express compassion for those experiencing suicidal thoughts
- Identify ways to get help for themselves or someone else who may be at risk
- Discuss helpful and harmful coping behaviors
- Explore their own beliefs, feelings, thoughts, and attitudes around suicide
- Identify the suicide crisis line as a resource for them and the people they serve
- Identify those who may be at an increased risk for suicidal thoughts or behavior
- Identify and respond effectively to suicide warning signs and suicidal statements
- Use safe strategic models to discuss suicide with their clients
- Use communication skills that promote trust and encourage expression
- Engage a comprehensive suicide/crisis intervention model to promote safety
- Plan for and practice effective self-care and debriefing
Presentations and training for your school, organization, or business
Suicide does not discriminate. Our customized presentations are available for schools, service groups, non-profit agencies, mental health providers, hospitals, and local businesses.
- Presentations and trainings are free & available in English or Spanish.
- Outreach presentations include age appropriate content, resources, and materials.
- Scheduling is flexible.
- We are also able to provide internationally recognized, evidence-based trainings such as ASIST (Applied Suicide Intervention Skills Training), safeTALK, and Mental Health First Aid. To learn more about these trainings, click on their names and you will be taken to their websites. If you are interested in receiving one of these trainings, you can click here to submit a request, email us at email@example.com or call our administrative line at 831-459-9373.
Have you participated in a presentation or training from SPS? We would like to hear from you! Click here to tell us about your experience and give us feedback!
24-Hour Suicide Crisis Line
Toll-free: 1-877-663-5433 (ONE LIFE)
Serving Monterey, Santa Cruz, and San Benito Counties