We offer a safe place where women with any type of cancer will find mutual support, shared experience, and open hearts.
All support group meetings are held at WomenCARE’s office. Pre-registration (office intake and a conversation with the group facilitator) is required before attending any of our support groups. Please call 831-457-2273 to provide us with necessary client information.
- ARM-in-ARM: Open to women with Advanced, Recurrent, or Metastatic cancer. Facilitated by Sally Jones & Shirley Marcus. Meets every Monday, 12:30 p.m. to 2:00 p.m.
- Cancer Support Group: Open to newly diagnosed women throughout the course of their treatment and up to 4-6 months post-treatment. Facilitated by Vickie Assunto and Deb Abbott. Meets every Tuesday, 12:30 – 2:00 p.m.
- Friends & Family: Open to friends and loved ones (men & women) of people with cancer. Led by Donna Cavallaro. Meets 1st and 3rd Tuesdays of the month, 5:30 to 7:00pm.
- Post Treatment Group:For women who are exploring issues related to life after a cancer diagnosis and treatment. Becomes a closed group after the first 2 sessions, and women are encouraged to make a 4 – 6 month commitment to the group. Facilitated by Loretta Ferris. Please call 831-457-2273 to find out when the next group will be starting and for more information.
- Spanish Speaking Cancer Support Group: Open to Spanish-speaking women with all kinds of cancer. Provides emotional support, education, and referrals to other social services. Group is led in Spanish and meets at WomenCARE’s office on the 2nd and 4th Saturdays of each month, 3:00 to 4:30 p.m. Please call 831-336-8662 to register. Led by Carolina Evans-Roman.
- Entre Nosotras: Open to Spanish-speaking women with all kinds of cancer, from diagnosis through treatment and the healing process. Groups are led in Spanish and meet at our Watsonville office. Please call 831-761-3973 for details. Led by Chila Correa. Meets the 1st and 3rd Thursdays of the month, 6:00 to 8:00 p.m.
Healing Circle Workshops
Providing comforting ways to cope with cancer through art, writing, meditation, and more. Please call the WomenCARE office at 831-457-2273 before attending any of these groups, both to verify location and times, and to provide us with necessary client information.
- Art for Healing: No art experience necessary, just a willingness to play with art materials and listen tenderly to yourself. Led by Wendy Traber. Meets the 3rd Saturday of every month at The Soquel Glen Mobile Park Clubhouse, 10:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m.
- Complementary Treatment Forum: An educational and collaborative group for women who want a safe place to learn, sort through, and share information about the many complementary cancer treatments. Normally meets the 4th Saturday of every month, 10:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m. at WomenCARE’s Soquel office, though location may occasionally vary to accommodate specific presentations. Led by guest facilitators. Must call to register.
- Laughter Yoga: Laughter Yoga is all about playing, having fun, feeling good and relaxing. It’s an innovative wellness tool where anyone can laugh at any time as a form of stress relief. We laugh in a group as a form of exercise, and through eye contact and childlike playfulness the fake laughter becomes real and contagious. It is a scientific fact that the body does not know the difference between fake laughter and the real thing, so when we laugh we receive a happy chemical release (dopamine, serotonin), and create more ease and space in our bodies and minds.
Join Carla Brown, certified Laughter Yoga instructor, to form you own laughter practice! Females who are a vital part of a client’s care team are also invited!
Meets the 1st and 3rd Thursdays of every month, 12:30 – 1:30 p.m. Inner Light Ministry – Fireside Room, 5630 Soquel Drive.
- Mindfulness Meditation: For women newly diagnosed, recovering, or coping with the effects of cancer or chronic illness. Meetings are led by Robin Sale, trained in Mindfulness-Based Stress Reduction with Jon Kabat-Zinn, and she has been a practitioner of meditation for over 35 years. Meets the 1st and 3rd Tuesday of every month at WomenCARE’s Soquel office, 2:30 to 4:00 p.m.
- Writing Circle: Open to the writer in each of us, this group allows for creative exploration in a supportive space right where you are. Each session is a surprise. Your creations are prompted by writing activities and the stories of your life—bring your notebook and invite your muse. Meets the 2nd Saturday of every month, 10:00 a.m. to 12:00 noon at WomenCARE’s Soquel office.
- Qi Gong: In this class you will learn specific tools for managing side-effects of surgery, chemotherapy, and radiation. Led by Sarah Diaz-Bastin. Meets the 1st & 3rd Saturdays of every month, 2:00 to 3:00 p.m. at 420 Melrose in the Fireside Lounge of Trinity Presbyterian Church..
- Yoga, all levels: This class will focus on using the breath and gentle stretching to open up the body and reduce stress. For those who are ready to rebuild strength, modifications will be offered. No yoga experience necessary – beginners welcome! Taught by Becky Dickson, certified yoga instructor. Meets the 4th Thursday of the month, 3:30 to 4:30 p.m. at Yoga Within, in Aptos.
- SoulCollage: Discover your Wisdom: Using images, imagination and intuition, you will begin to create your own personal deck of collaged cards. Part art project, part spiritual practice, SoulCollage® allows you to deepen your understanding of yourself. In a fun, creative, and relaxed environment, you can use your personal deck of cards to tap into your inner wisdom. No art experience necessary. Must supply your own scissors, glue stick, journal & pen. Meets the 1st Saturday of every month from 10:00 am to 1:00 pm. Call for location: 457-2273